The Atlantic Coast Conference.
The Atlantic Coast Conference was formed on May 8, 1953, at the Sedgefield Inn near Greensboro, NC, with seven charter members-Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina, and Wake Forest-working out the conference’s charter.
The withdrawal of seven schools from the Southern Conference occurred early on the morning of May 8, 1953, during the Southern Conference’s annual spring meeting. June 1953, the seven members met in Raleigh, NC, where a set of bylaws was adopted and the name officially became the Atlantic Coast Conference.
On December 4, 1953, conference officials met again in Sedgefield and officially attended the University of Virginia. The first and only withdrawal of a school from the ACC occurred on June 30, 1971, when the University of South Carolina announced its withdrawal.
The ACC operated with seven members until April 3, 1978, when Georgia Tech was admitted. The Atlanta School withdrew from the Southeastern Conference in January 1964.
July 1991, the ACC expanded to nine members with the addition of Florida State.
The conference expanded to 11 members on July 1, 2004, with the addition of the University of Miami and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. October 2003, Boston College accepted an invitation to become the league’s 12th member, beginning with the 2005-06 academic year.
Below is a table of ACC schools with links to each institution’s home page and to each office that corresponds to Clemson’s Office of Institutional Research and Planning.